It’s May 1st, which means summer is right around the corner. Yippee! While this season brings a lot of joy to many people, it can also be a source of anxiety for people who aren’t comfortable with how they look and feel. If the thought of putting on a pair of shorts or a bathing suit this summer seems crazy to you right now, read my top tips below on how you can turn this idea into a positive one. Incorporate just one item from the list into your daily routine and see what happens. You deserve to feel great inside and out!
1. CHEW YOUR FOOD WELL. Digestion begins in the mouth. By thoroughly chewing your food, your body will better assimilate nutrients, and you will also slow down your eating. It takes about twenty minutes for your brain to get the message from your stomach that it’s full. By slowing down, you’ll feel full and satisfied on less food. Aim to chew each bite thirty times.
2. EAT REAL FOOD. Avoid products with high-fructose corn syrup and/or a long list of hard-to-pronounce ingredients. These items are highly processed, lack the nutrients your body needs, and are often loaded with empty calories.
3. EAT MINDFULLY. Turn off the television, computer, and other devices. Make your food look beautiful and light a candle. Sit down and savor the food you’re eating with no distractions.
4. DRINK WATER. Most people are chronically dehydrated. We often mistake thirst for hunger. If you feel hungry between meals, drink one or two large glasses of water, then check in and see if you’re genuinely hungry.
5. REMOVE LIQUID CALORIES. Sodas, sweetened coffees and teas, and even pure fruit juices pack a lot of sugar. One of the easiest ways to release weight is to eliminate all sweetened beverages. Try blood-sugar-balancing vegetable juices, water, and pure tea and coffee in moderation.
6. EAT A PLANT-BASED DIET. Plant foods are typically lower in fat and calories and higher in filling fiber than meat, dairy, and processed foods. They provide essential nutrients and minerals that support weight loss.
7. EAT BREAKFAST. Having breakfast sets the tone for your whole day and gets your metabolism buzzing first thing. Skipping breakfast causes your blood sugar levels to dip, affecting your energy, moods, and cravings. Your body naturally needs less food as the day progresses and you get closer to bedtime.
8. ADD SWEET VEGETABLES TO YOUR DIET. Sweet vegetables, such as carrots, onions, squash, and sweet potatoes, naturally satisfy sugar cravings and soothe the nervous and digestive systems.
9. START JUICING. Pairing fresh vegetable juices with a light, plant-based diet is a great way to gently cleanse the body and jump-start weight loss. Try having a low-sugar green juice every day for thirty days and notice the difference in your energy and weight.
10. IDENTIFY ALLERGIES. One of the most common weight loss roadblocks is unidentified allergies. Get tested for common allergies like gluten, soy, and dairy, or simply do an elimination diet – eliminate all three for thirty days, then reintroduce them one at a time, a few days apart, and take note of any reactions. When you remove allergens, weight is naturally released.
It really is amazing how quickly the body will drop unnecessary weight when you give it what it needs. If you have success with any of these tips, comment below and share your experience!
Be well, friends!