I am really into smoothie bowls lately and have been on the hunt for a quality, low or no added sugar granola to buy as a topping. After searching high and low, I wasn’t able to find any store bought version without sugar, so I headed back to my kitchen to create one for myself that had my favorite body-loving ingredients.
This was my first time making granola and I’m happy to report it was really easy to make in about 10 minutes or less. The best part is I already had all the ingredients in my pantry because they are healthy ingredients I use in a lot of recipes. Win!
This granola is heart healthy, thanks to the rolled oats, anti-inflammatory because of the cinnamon, and lightly sweetened with nutrient dense pure maple syrup that will not spike your blood sugar like refined sugars do.
It came out so delicious and crispy and can’t wait to smother my smoothie bowl with some tomorrow morning at breakfast! I ended up doubling the recipe so I have a lot on hand for all the hungry mouths in my house 🙂
Ingredients That Love You Back
This 1-bowl, crispy homemade granola recipe is made in just a few minutes of prep time and packed full of your favorite nuts and oats. Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Oil-Free.
Are loaded with important vitamins, minerals and cancer-fighting antioxidant plant compounds. They’re also rich high in fiber and a great source of carbohydrates.
2. Pure maple syrup
Maple syrup is an unrefined natural sweetener containing higher levels of beneficial nutrients, antioxidants and enzymes compared to refined sugars like white table sugar or high fructose corn syrup. When used in moderation, nutrition benefits can include the ability to lower inflammation, supply nutrients and better manage blood sugar, all while helping to make recipes taste great.
Cinnamon is one of the most beneficial spices on earth, giving it antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, anti-microbial, immunity-boosting and potential cancer and heart disease-protecting abilities.
Are one of the best foods for your health, with a nearly perfect package of protein, healthy fats, fiber, plant sterols, antioxidants, and many vitamins and minerals.
(Vegan, refined sugar-free and gluten-free)
Yield = 4 cups
- 1 ½ cups nuts, roughly chopped (almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc.)
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- ½ cup finely ground, blanched almond flour or almond meal
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon*
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt*
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
*Cinnamon and salt are optional but highly recommend for great flavor.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside for later.
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl. Using a rubber spatula, fold until clusters form and mixture is well mixed.
- Pour onto the prepared baking sheet. Using the spatula, gently nudge granola into an even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Using a spatula, gently flip granola. Bake for an additional 5-15 minutes, until edges are a deep golden brown and granola is just slightly soft. Mine took a total of 35 minutes. Granola will crisp up while cooling.
- Place baking sheet on a cooling rack. Allow to cool for about 30 minutes, or until completely cooled. Enjoy!
Storage Note: Store in an airtight container for 1-2 months at room temperature.
If you try this recipe, comment here or tag me on Instagram @bewelljess with a pic.