You might be wondering how apple crisp without gluten and dairy could taste good enough to post on my blog, right? Well, I’m glad you stopped by because this apple crisp recipe will knock your socks off with its warm, sweet, crispiness, while satisfying all dietary needs.
My husband Zach has a sweet tooth and when I made this recipe last Fall, I was nervous that he wouldn’t like it. But, low and behold, he not only liked it, he said it was the best apple crisp he’s ever tasted!
Since tomorrow is his 29th birthday, I decided to make it again for him with the apples we picked today at a beautiful orchard in Maine.
If you like sweets too, but don’t want to fill your body with dairy and gluten, then I recommend you try this recipe and see for yourself how delicious and easy it is (1-bowl to prepare…my favorite part)!
- 8 medium-large apples (4 tart (like granny smith), 4 sweet (like honey crisp) organic when possible
- 1 lemon, juiced (~ 2 Tbsp 30 ml)
- 2/3 cup (128 g) coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp (21 g) arrowroot starch or cornstarch (for thickening)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh apple juice (or water)
- optional: 3/4 tsp fresh grated ginger or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- optional: pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup (90 g) gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (55 g) almond meal
- 1/2 cup (68 g) Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1:1 Baking Flour
- 1/2 cup (96 g) coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup (110 g) organic brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (50 g) pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) melted coconut oil or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C).
- Peel apples, quarter, remove cores, and use a paring knife to thinly slice lengthwise.
- Add to a large mixing bowl and top with remaining filling ingredients. Toss to combine. Add to a 9×13 (or similar size) baking dish.
- Rinse and wipe out your mixing bowl and add all topping ingredients. Stir to combine, then use fingers to break down any clumps of sugar. Pour over apples in an even layer.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour (uncovered) or until the filling is bubbly, the apples are very fork tender (especially in the center of the dish), and the topping is deep golden brown.
- Let rest at least 30 minutes before serving. This is delicious served with coconut whipped cream or vegan ice cream.
- Best when fresh, though leftovers keep covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days, or in the freezer up to 1 month. Reheat in the microwave or in a 350-degree F (176 C) oven until warmed through.