Smoothies have been a popular health trend for quite some time and you may be wondering what all the hype is about. Today I wanted to share with you how to make a healthy smoothie and how adding them into your routine can boost your health. Be sure to download my free healthy smoothie recipe guide for amazing recipes! It’s helpful to have a handful of easy recipes on hand that you can rotate through so you don’t get sick of the same recipe over and over again. I used to just throw random ingredients into the blender without an actual recipe and it never tasted good.
Now, the key to making a healthy smoothie is not to add unnecessary extra sugars and empty calories to it with sweetened fruit juices, sweetened yogurt, frozen yogurt, or ice cream. The sweetness that balances out any greens or veggies you put in should only come from whole fruits, such as mango, banana, berries, etc. This is because whole fruits contain fiber, which slows down the release of sugar into your bloodstream and balances your blood sugar levels. Sweetened juices and yogurts contain white sugar or artificial sugars which spike your blood sugar level, leaving you tried and sluggish.
From personal experience and from working with clients, I have seen the health benefits of adding nutrient dense smoothies into any lifestyle. It is one of the easiest ways to consume more vegetables, vitamins and minerals — great for kids and picky eaters!
5 Health Benefits of Smoothies
- Better Nutrition. Smoothies, green smoothies included, are loaded with phytochemicals, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fiber, protein, carbohydrate and healthy fat – which are all necessary for proper immune and cellular function. This means that the more smoothies you drink, the better your health will be because you are giving your body perfect fuel to function properly and fight disease.
- Perfect for Kids & Picky Eaters. It can be challenging to get your kids or spouse to eat green leafy vegetables, especially raw. I love all vegetables, but this pregnancy has made eating them tougher than usual so I’ve been drinking a green smoothie just about every morning to ensure I start my day with the healthy nutrients my body needs. Taste and texture can be an issue for kids and many adults but you can’t even taste spinach or kale in a green smoothie, if it’s done right. My daughter is obsessed with her green smoothie and asks for it every morning without fail!
- Easily Digestible. Blending greens makes them easy to digest, compared to chewing. Eating a lot of fruit at once can also cause gas and bloating, so blending fruit takes the stress off your intestines.
- Portable & Easy to Prep. If you are a busy, on-the-go mom and need something easy to prepare in advance, smoothies fit the bill. The beauty of smoothies is you throw the ingredients in, press blend, and then pour into a thermos or to go mug for the car ride, school or office. If you’re really pressed for time in the morning, you can prepare and store all the ingredients together in the fridge and then blend in the morning. I like to make smoothies for my daughter and I as our playground snack. These stainless steel cups keep them nice and cold and come with straws for easy sipping!
- A Superfood Powerhouse. You can put a combination of amazing superfoods in your smoothies and mix up the recipes to get a balanced rotation going. Great superfood add-ins are things like goji berries, maca powder, Hawaiian spirulina, barley grass juice powder, cacao powder, mushroom powder, and the list goes on. They are loaded with high levels of antioxidants, and essential vitamins and minerals, to boost your overall health and vitality. They also taste really yummy in smoothies.
There are many more benefits to consuming smoothies, but as you can see, they can easily be added to your lifestyle without much time in the kitchen. Some of my clients have seen a major boost in energy when they have their smoothie in the late afternoon when people typically get sleepy and need something to get through the rest of the day. A smoothie can easily replace that afternoon candy bar, soda or coffee run with a little planning ahead the day before.
I also included juice recipes in the smoothie guide to try out as an added bonus! Juices are great for detoxing your digestive system while getting essential nutrients.
I’m here to guide and support you through any changes you want to make – contact me anytime!
Happy blending! Tell me your favorite way to sip a smoothie in the comments!