“The cold never bothered me anyway.” — Frozen, “Let It Go”
Even though the temperatures are feeling very Fall-like lately, it’s still technically summer here in Maine until September 23rd. So, today I’m sharing my favorite kiddo-approved, healthy summer treat with you before we jump into Fall. And speaking of Fall, this ice cream would pair so well with my healthy apple crisp recipe that I make every year. I will have to try this out soon and let you know how it tastes!
This plant-based ice cream is a staple recipe in my house. It is made with only 2 ingredients, very healthy, and super quick and simple to whip up. It’s so healthy, you can even eat it for breakfast!
Why I Ditched Dairy and How I’ve Benefited
Before we dive into this delicious recipe, I wanted to share with you why omitting or reducing dairy from your lifestyle has several health promoting, environmental and ethical benefits. I also want you to know that I only share this information with you to educate, inspire and spread awareness so you can make an informed decision. I do not judge anyone who consumes animal products. Going plant-based has positively improved my life mentally, physically, psychologically and spiritually and I’ve learned through this change that following a plant-based lifestyle is bigger than me and the benefits I receive. It’s about our environment, animals and humanity too. My goal with the information I share is ALWAYS to promote good health and abundance for all my readers and show you how you can heal your body with food.
A few unintentional benefits that occurred as a result of eliminating dairy is better, clearer skin (haven’t had a breakout since). Normal, tolerable menstrual cycles (which wasn’t the case for years), and a patch of redness on my right cheek that disappeared within days that had been there for years. Another note is that after reintroducing dairy back into my diet several months later, I had a mild allergic reaction with an itchy throat and stomach ache. I had no idea that these things would happen, but it was amazing to witness how my body healed itself.
Ok, here we go!
- Better Nutrition. Dairy is full of hormones, saturated animal fats and animal proteins which are riddling your system and are responsible for poor health. You can get clean, health promoting properties from plant-based alternatives because they contain more fiber, antioxidants (protect your cells from cancer) and vitamins and minerals and none of the bad stuff that comes with animal products.
- Reduce Your Chance of Developing Chronic Illness. You will be lowering your saturated fat and cholesterol intake with every single mouthful compared to consuming dairy equivalents. High cholesterol results in build ups of plaque in the artery walls (atherosclerosis) which increases your chance of heart disease, stroke, peripheral artery disease and type 2 diabetes (1, 2).
- Avoid puss/blood cells and/or hormones. That’s right, there is a high chance the cheese and milk that you are eating from cows contains puss/blood cells, hormones & steroids (3). Some of the hormones found in milk have been linked to increasing the likelihood of certain cancers (4).
- Protect More Cows From Abuse. Milk is a hormonal fluid from the udder and nipple of a pregnant cow that’s been fed GMO grains and injected with steroids, hormones and antibiotics (3) whilst being put under the continuous stress and fear that comes with being artificially impregnated several times a year.
- Protect Our Planet. Dairy cows and their manure produce greenhouse gas emissions which contribute to climate change. Poor handling of manure and fertilizers can degrade local water resources. And unsustainable dairy farming and feed production can lead to the loss of ecologically important areas, such as prairies, wetlands, and forests (5).
There are many more benefits to eliminating or reducing dairy from your life. Remember that these are the reasons that resonate with me personally and were the reasons why I stopped consuming dairy cold-turkey. I was already a vegetarian at the time, so the transition was a little easier to go fully plant-based overnight.
If you are inspired to make a change, it’s so important to remember that change is a process that takes time, patience, and kindness with yourself and perfection should never be the goal. I’m here to guide and support you through any changes you want to make – contact me anytime!
Banana Nice Cream Recipe
- 3-4 frozen ripe bananas, chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla
coconut ﬂakes, cacao nibs, walnuts, raspberries, strawberries, granola, peanut butter, maple syrup drizzle
Did you learn anything new about dairy? Do you think there would be any benefits for you to reduce or eliminate it?
Comment here on the blog or share your ice cream creation on Instagram by tagging @bewelljess!